- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups finely ground organic almonds (I fed small, sequential handfuls of almonds to a coffee grinder. A few chunks of non-ground almonds are a welcome addition).
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1/2 dozen olives, sliced into coins
- 3 green onions, sliced into coins
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 small sprig each of sage leaf and fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Scoop into an oiled casserole dish. Bake for 45 minutes on a central rack in the oven, and move to an upper rack for an additional 15 minutes to allow the upper portion to brown slightly.
Serve as is with green veggies or with flatbread. I wrapped them into rotis for a recent snowshoeing picnic on Cypress, and along with red pepper humus for dipping, they hit the snow-trekking spot very agreeably.
Musical inspiration for this dish: Songs for Distingué Lovers, Billie Holiday.