- 1¾ cup roasted or steamed yam, thoroughly mashed (approximately 3 medium sized yams)
- 3/4 organic chunky peanut butter (unsalted)
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3 flax eggs (= 3 Tbsp ground flax seed + 9 Tbsp H2O)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2-3 tsp ginger root, finely grated
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 2.5 cups unbleached white flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Stir together the mashed yams, peanut butter, molasses, flax eggs, oil, vanilla and sugar in a large bowl.
Sift the remaining dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Fold together using a spatula until just mixed. If the dough is too sticky, add a bit more flour.
Spoon small balls of cookie dough onto two greased cookie sheets, and flatten with a fork. Bake for 17-20 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on a plate or cookie rack, and share with friends. Makes approximately 18 large cookies.